Nantahala Broadband RFP - Questions and Answers
As questions are submitted through the
1. Why was RFP 02-119900 v2 Released and What has Changed?
Macon County was notified that the NC Statute authorizing counties to offer general funds grants for broadband expansion was repealed and replaced in 2022. To keep the Nantahala Phase 1 project moving forward and to avoid entanglement with this new statute, the County elected to modify the scope and funding method defined in the RFP.
RFP 02-119900 v2 contains the following modifications.
- The scope of the Nantahala Phase 1 project has been limited to providing fiber service for the identified County facilities.
- The Nantahala North VFR Substation has been added as a required facility
- The estimated fiber distance has decreased to 9.3 miles
- The offer of grant funding has been removed
- The County will execute a procurement contract with the selected Provider for the deployment of necessary fiber and connection of the identified facilities.
- The County encourages but will not provide funding for connection of residences and businesses.
- Given the reduction in project scope, the desired deployment time for Nantahala Phase 1 has been changed to one (1) year.
- The RFP response deadline has been extended two weeks to March 17, 2023.
2. Is there a specific format required for a provider to indicate Intent to Respond?
There is no formal intent format requirement. The County simply wishes to know which providers are interested and intend to respond to the RFP. An email of intent sent by the provider to the dedicated inquiry email address